Narkomfin Building, 1928-1930. Listed object of cultural heritage of regional value . Architects Moisei Ginzburg and Ignaty Milinis, building engineer Sergey Prokhorov
25 building 1, Novinsky Boulevard, Moscow, Russia
Developer: Liga Prav
2016-2020 - Restoration and adaptation project, Project documentation, Interior design project, Architectural supervision
2020 – Project completed
The Narkomfin Building is an icon of the architectural avant-garde. It became a manifesto for a new way of life and had a significant impact on the development of architecture in the second half of the 20th century. An innovative idea to link private apartments with public spaces and consumer services was embodied in several interconnected blocks within a park. The Narkomfin Building also introduced new technological solutions, which are still in use to this day.
For decades, the monument has been in decay, raising concerns in the world cultural community.
The result of a comprehensive scientific restoration was the reclamation of both the original physical appearance of the building and its main ambition to organize housing following modern person’s needs; the commercial success of the project confirmed the absolute relevance of the building. The restoration of the monument has made a significant contribution to the preservation of the world's architectural heritage.
In accordance with the principles of The Venice Charter for the Conservation and Restoration of Monuments and Sites, a comprehensive scientific restoration was carried out:
- Conduction of scientific researches (before and during the restoration process)
- Conservation of all preserved original elements of the building
- Recreation of lost elements in strict compliance with the original technologies
- In accordance with the principles of the Venice Charter, the difference between original and recreated elements is evident
- Particular attention to the preservation of the original surfaces (plaster, paint, floor coverings, etc.). The original textures are distinguishable both visually and tactilely and take us back to the era when the building was created
- Building’s original typology is an important element of a monument of modern architecture. Residential and communal blocks were given back their initial functions
The modernization of engineering systems (necessary for the development project) has become organic for the monument, which has absorbed the progressive technologies of its time. Smart home systems (KNX) have been introduced. The new air conditioning system - VRV - made it possible to remove the outdoor ventilation units away from the house and to place them on a neighboring plot.
To recreate the original organization of the public space the ground level had to be lowered and the first floor of the residential block had to be opened up. The public space continues under the building and turns into a terrace, which opens a previously blocked view of the facade. The park, which was initially created for the Narkomfin building, unites residential and communal blocks with the utility block into one building complex with a system of pedestrian paths. A cafe is provided in the utility block, and a community center in the communal block - the building complex combines both residential and public functions. The Narkomfin Building attracts tourists and researchers from all over the world. Visitors have the opportunity to rent two specially provided guest units on the 7th floor via Airbnb.